Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Flaxseed allergies.....

Since being diagnosed with Celiac, I've become more aware of other food allergies. Not that I wasn't aware before, just more so. I love to bake. I firmly believe that just because you have a food allergy, does NOT mean you can't have good food to eat. It just takes time to tweak recipes to make them good for you. The more people I meet here online, the more allergies to different foods I find. Some that I wouldn't even have thought of. That being said, I've tried in my baking to make sure that at least the friends and family around me can eat what I make no matter what the food allergy.

One of my family members has GI issues that we can't seem to figure out. They have been tested for CD, negative. They are not much of a "go see the Dr." person. So, we do trial and error. Upon returning home from the other night they inform me they've had "gut rot" all night. I sit down at my computer to do some research on food allergy symptoms going by what they ate for dinner (since they were fine before).

One of the things they grabbed while running out the door was one of my fresh baked Pumpkin Muffins. These muffins are vegan. They are egg free, dairy free, gluten free, soy free and corn free. Remembering a reaction they had to a shake they made a few weeks ago.. with flaxseed, I started with that. Did you know that you can have an allergy to flaxseed? I mean, I know people who are allergic to things you wouldn't have thought someone would/could be allergic too. But, flaxseed? It's a great egg re-placer. I use it a lot. I found lots of information on how great this little seed is. But, do you know what else I consistently found? "Flaxseed can also be troublesome for people with diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and inflammatory bowel disease". Hmmmmm.

Well, today, I'm making my muffins WITHOUT flaxseed. I researched other good egg re-placers and we shall see how they do. I have my good turnouts and I have those that, for lack of better word, suck. I tweak and play with my recipes so that others who don't have the time or who are new to all this don't have to.

~Keep fighting the "safe" food fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment